Friday, September 9, 2011

New Things

Here's an idea I had to help me publish more regularly. Every Friday I am going to post my favourite pattern of the week, talk about why I like it, and what in-store yarn I would use to knit it.
Today's pattern is the Opposite Pole Cardigan (rav link). I LOVE THIS SWEATER! Obviously I can't knit every pattern I blog about, but this one jumps out and screams "KNIT ME!!!"Link
Just look at it!


Maybe it doesn't call to you the way it does to me, but I love this sweater!


I love how it has so many interesting elements without being too busy. I love that it's a circle. I love that it has cables. I love the how the short rows look in garter stitch.

I would knit this sweater in Cascade Ecological Wool.


Cascade Ecological Wool is surprisingly soft and springy. It's good for the environment and good for your pocket book. It comes in big 200 gram/478 yard skeins for $19.99 a skein.

This pattern calls for 1400-2000 yards, and one of the great things about it is that it comes in a huge variety of sizes! 30"-60" bust! I absolutely love it when designers try to please as many people as possible.
Another nice thing about the pattern is on the Ravelry page-they have the yarn requirements for the individual sizes available. Often designers just put in a size range and a yardage range so that unless you are the smallest or the largest size, you have no idea what your yardage requirements are going to be unless you buy the pattern. For someone like me, who constantly "shops" for patterns and likes to weigh out a million pros and cons, I love it when I can look at the Rav page, see the yardage for my size, and figure out if the cost of the project is going to be prohibitive before I purchase the pattern.

I love this pattern, I love this yarn!

1 comment:

2 Good Claymates said...

OMG! I love the green sweater! What a gorgeous design and my favorite color!